Elena started public pre-K school last year. I was extremely nervous...would she be able to socially interact, given her motor delay? Would the kids want to play with her? When would she gain confidence in a new area? What happens when she is the only child not fully potty-trained?
I was nervous--after horror stories of what I've read on newsgroups...I didn't want someone to just stick E in a corner, or let her crawl around everywhere and get trampled and teased by other kids. I thought I'd be "fighting the system" to have my child get love and attention and inclusiveness. I steeled myself for opposition, while trying to keep an open mind.
I was in for a huge surprise.
Elena's first year as a Bright Star was phenomenal. The teachers were AMAZING. They really put me at ease, and communicated very well with me (and they still do!). They told me something very important: most young children (especially those without older siblings) don't know about teasing, and special needs really don't phase them. They see differences, ask questions, and then it's no big deal. I do think fostering the right environment is key, but E's peers LOVED her. I got to see first hand what happened when she would come in late after private PT (Thursdays last year)--all the kids would RUN to hug her, shouting "Elena!" when she entered the room. I almost cried. At the mall, two of E's classmates (twin brothers, one is in her class, the other a different pre-K class) saw her and ran to her and gave her a huge hug. These teachers, these classmates, this program, and in particular these twins (yes, M&N, you two!)--helped me realize that E is going to be FINE.
Her second year at school (new school, new program, new teachers) hasn't started as well as last year--but, I'm trying not to be too critical b/c it's their first year having this program. Overall, I am pleased--and I am trying to be patient, but firm, with E's needs, and I believe they are receptive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment